Swift Talk Forums HERE

Swift 645

This forum is now closed to new posts but remains here as a source of information. New actictivity has transferred to the Swift Talk forums (see link above).

The views expressed here are those of the individual contributors and are not necessarily those of the Club.

Swift 645

Postby LANDY V6 » March 26th, 2009, 1:56 pm

Hi everyone i'm new to this site ,and was wondering if i could get some advice ? i have a disco mk3 and was thinking of changing it and going for a big estate car does anyone have any ideas??? as the caravan i tow is a swift conqueror 645 twin axle
Regards Mike.
LANDY V6
Members

Re: Swift 645

Postby Arkimediz » March 29th, 2009, 9:07 pm

Having a 645 myself, I know it's a big heavy caravan. There will be two problems with finding a suitable estate car -

1. The weight of it - will it be heavy enough to give the recommended 85% match.

2. Hitchweight - The Disco will probably support 150kg, the caravan probably needs at least 100kg (7% of the weight of the caravan is the recommendation). A lot of estate cars will probably specify a maximum of only 75kg.

I wouldn't be too keen on towing a caravan that size with anything less than a 4x4. I used to use a 4.6 Petrol Range Rover (pricey on fuel) - I now tow with a BMW X5 Sport Diesel (50% better on fuel costs). It's a great tugger and a delight to drive solo. One reviewer said "a 4x4 shouldn't be this much fun to drive"!

Happy Hunting!! :D
Caravan Rallies - Every weekend, same house, different front garden & different neighbours.
Arkimediz
Members

Re: Swift 645

Postby LANDY V6 » March 30th, 2009, 11:52 am

Thanks very much for the info i was just thinking of leaving the 4x4 market with the way things are going £££££ road tax
Regards Mike.
LANDY V6
Members

Return to Technical