Swift Talk Forums HERE

Swift Corniche Suspension

This forum is now closed to new posts but remains here as a source of information. New actictivity has transferred to the Swift Talk forums (see link above).

The views expressed here are those of the individual contributors and are not necessarily those of the Club.

Swift Corniche Suspension

Postby patricklee » April 16th, 2009, 6:27 pm

As first time catravanners, we have bought a Swift Corniche, circa 1990. The suspension looks low to me and when I remove a tyre, I have difficulty putting it back on as it is tight against the wheel arch and need to deflate it to get it on. Does this suggest the suspension is knackered?
patricklee
Members

Re: Swift Corniche Suspension

Postby metz » April 16th, 2009, 7:04 pm

Hi Patrick, A lot of the earlier models had wheelarch spats that you need to remove to get the wheel of easily, difficult to say without seeing yours whether this is the problem or not, probably best to get your local dealer or mobile engineer to take a look to be on the safe side.
What go'es around comes around
metz
Members

Postby woodvale035 » April 20th, 2009, 10:14 pm

This all assumes that there is a indespenion / alko type suspension

with the van wheels on the ground and the corner steadies UP, stand behind the van and look at the two wheels to see if the lean in at the top alot. if they do then the suspension is done and is unsafe to tow with.
If they seem fairly parrallel then it should be ok.
If the wheels are tight to the outside of the wheel arch then as suggested before there may be a removable part to take off first.
The rims may have had too wide of tyres fitted at some time.

The suspension can sieze up so it does not swivel up and down as it should so if you jack up the wheel by placing the jack under the chassis instead of under the axle, and if the wheel moves straight away instead of the suspension dropping as the van rises it would suggest it is not good either.
woodvale035
Members

Postby paulanne4548 » April 21st, 2009, 11:14 am

Hi Patrick,
We have the Swift Corniche 14/2, circa 1991 model and like yourselves we thought the suspension was rather low, as the caravan catches the road as we leave the storage place we keep our van at.
We have just had a full mobile service on the caravan and the service engineer said that these vans were low and had no real concerns with it and i find it tows with no problems.
As for removal of the wheels, well he as advised us that if we ever have the misfortune to have a puncture to just call out the breakdown services as it seems that someone at sometime before us has fitted a slightly wider tyres on the rims and this is causing a problem to remove the wheel.
Hope this helps.

Regards
Paul :D (paul4548@hotmail.com)
paulanne4548
Members

Postby patricklee » May 2nd, 2009, 9:32 pm

Thank you to all who took the time to reply. I shall follow your input and take it from there.
patricklee
Members

Return to Technical