Swift Talk Forums HERE

Powering 12 volt only appliances whilst in the house?

This forum is now closed to new posts but remains here as a source of information. New actictivity has transferred to the Swift Talk forums (see link above).

The views expressed here are those of the individual contributors and are not necessarily those of the Club.

Powering 12 volt only appliances whilst in the house?

Postby The Meerkat » May 13th, 2009, 2:47 pm

Recently I have been enjoying the pleasure of using my LCD both in the kitchen and when away touring as its 12v and mains

Now what I have is a vast amount of 12 volt only appliances, such as the wifes hairdryer, BBQ grill and cool box that I would be looking to use in the house whilst not touring
So I suppose what I am looking for is the reverse of an inverter, rather than going from DC to AC, I would want it to convert AC to DC, I found this http://www.amperordirect.co.uk/products/300W-12v_Power_Supply.asp (300 watts should be plenty) on the net and was wondering if anyone has ever been in the same tangle as myself

Thanks
8) 8)
The Meerkat
Members

Re: Powering 12 volt only appliances whilst in the house?

Postby charles » May 13th, 2009, 3:56 pm

It's amazing just how many small domestic devices operate on 12 volts DC via a power brick - phones, set top boxes, routers, printers etc. You may already have more 12 volt kit than you thought!

Amperor's 25 amp power supply should be fine for the kit you mention. The 12 volt hairdryers I've seen take around 15 amps. The supply therfore gives you a little to spare should you need it. Beware that some sensitive electronic kit (e.g. digital TV receivers) may require an extra smooth, dedicated, supply so it's always best to use the original adapter if you have it.
charles
Members

Postby The Meerkat » May 29th, 2009, 2:27 pm

charles wrote:It's amazing just how many small domestic devices operate on 12 volts DC via a power brick - phones, set top boxes, routers, printers etc. You may already have more 12 volt kit than you thought!

Amperor's 25 amp power supply should be fine for the kit you mention. The 12 volt hairdryers I've seen take around 15 amps. The supply therfore gives you a little to spare should you need it. Beware that some sensitive electronic kit (e.g. digital TV receivers) may require an extra smooth, dedicated, supply so it's always best to use the original adapter if you have it.

Many thanks Charles, I managed to get the unit of E-Bay at a snippet price of £17
The Meerkat
Members

Postby The Meerkat » June 11th, 2009, 11:51 am

I also took the smaller "little brother" as well, as it's a little easier to carry around, just a snip at £7.95

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Amperor-APP-120Watt-Voltage-Supply/dp/B000ZJLSMU/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=electronics&qid=1244717235&sr=8-1

MK :D
The Meerkat
Members

Return to Technical