Swift Talk Forums HERE

Problems with Nordelecttronica Battery Chargers on my camper

This forum is now closed to new posts but remains here as a source of information. New actictivity has transferred to the Swift Talk forums (see link above).

The views expressed here are those of the individual contributors and are not necessarily those of the Club.

Problems with Nordelecttronica Battery Chargers on my camper

Postby The Meerkat » May 20th, 2009, 6:55 pm

Hi all

I am posting on behalf of my friend who is not the most up to date with the world wide interweb

He has just purchased a new camper, he hasn’t had it away on holiday yet and the battery charger has stopped working no output either to charge the battery or power the 12v electrics, actually rather than charging, it flattened the battery totally

Has anyone else encountered these problems – the unit is manufactured by a brand Nordelecttronica – anyone heard from them? Or encountered the same problem?

I am not sure if the unit can fixed by myself or this may be a common design issue with the charger?

Any advice or related incidents will be most welcome

MK
Last edited by The Meerkat on July 16th, 2009, 11:55 am, edited 1 time in total.
The Meerkat
Members

Re: Problems with Nordelecttronica Battery Chargers on Swift Van

Postby TheSwiftGroup » May 20th, 2009, 7:52 pm

Meerkat
There are a number of Chargers on models built between May 2008 and August 2008 where the chargers have developed failed. Your friend needs to contact their supplying dealer to arrange for a replacement under warranty.
Thanks
Andy
TheSwiftGroup
Members

Postby The Meerkat » May 29th, 2009, 2:25 pm

Many thanks for that Andy, my friend has now taken the dud charger back to the dealer for replacement under warranty

Out of interest, do you have any experience with these charger units? :)

http://www.amperor-research.co.uk/page9.html
The Meerkat
Members

Postby TheSwiftGroup » May 29th, 2009, 10:46 pm

Hi Meerkat,
Yes we are aware of Amperor they are a good company and have some very good products,
Thanks
Andy
TheSwiftGroup
Members

Postby The Meerkat » June 10th, 2009, 2:29 pm

TheSwiftGroup wrote:Hi Meerkat,
Yes we are aware of Amperor they are a good company and have some very good products,
Thanks
Andy

Thanks Andy, problem all sorted now

I see the Amperor's are now selling their chargers via on the web

http://stores.shop.ebay.co.uk/Amperor-Europe-Ltd_Battery-Chargers_W0QQ_fsubZ20251086QQ_sidZ692965091QQ_trksidZp4634Q2ec0Q2em322

MK
The Meerkat
Members

Re: Problems with Nordelecttronica Battery Chargers on my camper

Postby bushellj » August 1st, 2009, 5:03 pm

We have an Abbey GTS 418 caravan (Purchased new in 2007) with the same problem.

The charger appeared to have failed and the battery stays flat.

We got the local Swift dealer to replace the whole of the Charger / Mains / Fuse Unit in 2008 under warranty as part of the first service as it is a one piece unit and we still have the same but intermittant problems with the charger not always working. Also the dealer completely disassembled the internals of the cupboard to take out the charger unit (most of which was only stapled together) so now it looks a right mess as they couldn't get it back together again !! They also managed to damage one of the plugs on the wiring loom which was then repaired with sticky tape - Don't know if this was how Swift originally installed it or if this was the dealer. They also managed to pull out the screws on the door hinges (less than 1/2 inch long !!) so the first time we opened the cupboard the door fell off !!

We took this problem back to the dealer and they told us that the charger unit only has a 1 year warranty and therefore is no longer covered !! They now want something over £200 to fit a replacement !!

Tried to take this up with both the original supplying dealer and Swift but without towing the van half way across the country to the original dealer (which is totally impractical) no one wants to know !!

Swift has a very strange relationship with their Resellers as it appears they can decide whether they want to offer Warranty Services or not. Most will only offer warranty on vans they have sold which is not a great deal of help when you tow your caravan half way across the country only to be told it has to be returned to the original supplying dealer if you have a problem covered by warranty !!

I hope you have better luck.
bushellj
Members

Postby TheSwiftGroup » August 1st, 2009, 10:42 pm

Hi Bushellj,

Firstly, I'm sorry to hear you are having problems with your Swift Group Caravan. The known failure of the Nord chargers is total, and not intermittent, so I would guess your issue is not the same as the original poster. As you have a 2007 caravan, again, this is probably not the same issue. That said, even after 2 years, you should not have any issues, and clearly it is not right you have had a replacement charger, and are still having issues.

With regards to dealers, they are independent traders, and Swift have no control over whether they undertake warranty work on a caravan. In some cases, dealers prefer to only undertake warranty work on vehicles they originally sold while some will undertake warranty / servicing work on any caravan. While the Swift Group can request that a non-selling dealer undertakes this type of work, on a customer’s behalf, we cannot force the dealer.

However, there are a number of approved Swift repairers around the country (some mobile) who will take on this type of work, and if you want to drop me a PM with your e-mail address, I'll send you the list.

The dealer / repairer simply needs to submit a warranty claim to us, and if approved, a new charger / fuse box can be fitted under the warranty agreement.

I hope that helps.

Ash
TheSwiftGroup
Members

Postby bushellj » August 2nd, 2009, 10:49 am

Be very happy to send you an email but you appear to have this facility turned off ?

You can contact me on james.bushell-at-talk21.com

All the best, James
bushellj
Members

Postby TheSwiftGroup » August 2nd, 2009, 12:50 pm

Hi James,

I've just sent you an e-mail. I hope it helps.

Ash
TheSwiftGroup
Members

Return to Technical