Swift Talk Forums HERE

Problem with whale water system

This forum is now closed to new posts but remains here as a source of information. New actictivity has transferred to the Swift Talk forums (see link above).

The views expressed here are those of the individual contributors and are not necessarily those of the Club.

Problem with whale water system

Postby WishawDaddy » May 29th, 2009, 9:56 am

Hello there,

I'm a new member of the forum but a fairly long time Swift Owner. I'm not sure if this problem has been covered in the past, but I couldn't find the exact problem anywhere.

I have a 1998 Allouette badged as an Island Islay. I've had it from new but haven't used it for a couple of years since the kids grew up.

I decided to get it out of storage to use this year and have a bit of a problem.

When I connect the external whale device, it runs continuously, even when none of the taps are on. To make matters worse, the water isn't going into the van but immediately pouring out of the overflow next to the whale inlet.

I'm assuming that I have some kind of blockage or air pocket that's causing this, but I've absolutely not idea where to start looking.

My local Caravan shop are not interested because the van is over 10 years old. I could probably take it to Knowpark Caravans, the original supplier, but that's 20 miles away and I'd rather get it sorted before I moved it.

Any suggestions would be much appreciated.

Thanks,

John
WishawDaddy

Re: Problem with whale water system

Postby charles » June 6th, 2009, 5:13 pm

The overflow you describe is more likely to be a drain on the Carver Cascade water heater. This has one drain in the bottom left hand corner and an air bleed screw in the top left hand corner. The system is drained by removing the plastic screw from the bottom LH corner and turning the screw in the top LH corner through 90 degrees. Clearly these operations need to be reversed when filling with water.

The top LH screw is part of the pressure relief valve and it's not unknown for this plastic valve to crack releasing water.

Carver Cascade manuals can be found in the technical area of this website.
charles
Members

Return to Technical