Swift Talk Forums HERE

A newbie with a cracking problem

This forum is now closed to new posts but remains here as a source of information. New actictivity has transferred to the Swift Talk forums (see link above).

The views expressed here are those of the individual contributors and are not necessarily those of the Club.

A newbie with a cracking problem

Postby davidi » June 27th, 2009, 10:50 pm

Hello forum from a new member :)

I am brand new to caravaning and I have just purchased a 2002 Swift Challenger, which is in fabulous condition.
However I do have two problems.
1 The front panel has a minor crack just below the front light (looks like a stone chip)
2 The rear panel has some hair line cracking (2 cracks about 2 inches long) these are in the area of the roof level reflectors. These appear to have been touched up with white paint.

I am a not too concerned about problem number 1, but problem 2 is more of an issue.

I need to know if problem 2 could be just gel coat cracking and nothing to worry about or should I carry out a repair.
Could someone tell me if the front and rear panels ABS or GRP?
Many thanks
davidi
Members

Re: A newbie with a cracking problem

Postby ted hughes » June 28th, 2009, 11:03 am

The front and rear panels are GRP (Glass Reinforced Plastic). The cracks do indeed sound like gel coat cracks. This is where the thin gel coat that sits on top of the GRP cracks. It is not uncommon, especially on curved areas, and is of no structural significance.

Polishing with a white car polish designed to disguise scratches may help make the cracks less noticeable.
ted hughes
Members

Re: A newbie with a cracking problem

Postby davidi » June 28th, 2009, 8:33 pm

Cheers Ted
davidi
Members

Return to Technical