Swift Talk Forums HERE

12 volt sockets

This forum is now closed to new posts but remains here as a source of information. New actictivity has transferred to the Swift Talk forums (see link above).

The views expressed here are those of the individual contributors and are not necessarily those of the Club.

12 volt sockets

Postby georgewoodhouse » August 4th, 2009, 8:52 pm

In March I took delivery of a new Sterling Elite Explorer. It has a 12 volt socket in living area and bedroom. On holiday recently I tried to plug in a mobile phone to charge up but the fuse in the adapter/charger blew immediately - I tried a different adapter and the same thing happened. The van has just been back to the dealer for one or two warranty issues and they say they checked both sockets (by plugging in a 12 volt light bulb) and they are both OK. But I tried a third adapter/charger while still at the dealers and this fuse went also. The dealer insists that the problem is not with the caravan and that all 3 of my adapters must be faulty - which seems unlikely. All 3 worked fine in both my cars before.

Has anyone else had this problem and has anyone any solutions please?
georgewoodhouse
Members

Re: 12 volt sockets

Postby ted hughes » August 5th, 2009, 11:32 am

I agree it seems unlikely that you have 3 faulty phone chargers. The first thing to check is the polarity of the sockets. It is normal for the centre contact to be positive and the outer to be negative. If the other way round then this could well cause charger fuses to blow.

In the unlikely event that polarity is not the issue then get the voltage at each socket checked to ensure it it within the limits required by your chargers.
ted hughes
Members

Re: 12 volt sockets

Postby georgewoodhouse » August 5th, 2009, 12:29 pm

Ted
Thanks very much for this. I have changed the polarity and it worked like a dream. So simple when you know how! But I am verr disappointed that the dealer did not check this out - he insisted that the socket was fine because his light bulb on a lead worked - which it would of course as the polarity would not make any difference.
Anyway - thanks again.
George
georgewoodhouse
Members

Return to Technical