Swift Talk Forums HERE

Radio connections in Swift Fairway/Charisma535

This forum is now closed to new posts but remains here as a source of information. New actictivity has transferred to the Swift Talk forums (see link above).

The views expressed here are those of the individual contributors and are not necessarily those of the Club.

Radio connections in Swift Fairway/Charisma535

Postby David Theaker » August 15th, 2009, 8:22 pm

I have recently bought a Swift Fairway 470 and I am having problems with the fitted radio in that everytime the caravan is connected to the car I lose the saved stations on the radio. No problems with it any other time. There are two connections into the radio one is switched and the other permanent which should provide power at all times and maintain.station set up. For some reason the permanent connection is looped from the switched connection. How do I solve the problem?
David Theaker
Members

Re: Radio connections in Swift Fairway/Charisma535

Postby duffer » August 16th, 2009, 10:24 am

The problem is caused by the habitation relay in the caravan. This is a legal requirement and is designed to isolate all 12 volt equipment on the van (fridge heater excepted) when the van is being towed. The idea is to reduce the risk of fire.

As you have discovered many car radios lose their memories when the power is disconnected. The switched feed you refer to could be the feed for the aerial amplifier; the ‘permanent’ feed will come through the habitation relay.

The simplest solution would be to remove the existing ‘permanent’ feed and arrange for a direct feed from the battery through a suitable in-line fuse (say 5 amps).

Alternatively, to maintain the full protection offered by the habitation relay you could connect the radio to a small sealed 12 volt lead acid battery (e.g. 1.2 amp hour) and feed the battery via a suitable diode connected to the ‘permanent’ feed.

This arrangement would keep the battery topped up and feed the radio when on site and enable the radio to keep its memory when being towed. The diode would prevent the small battery from trying to power any other equipment in the van.

Suitable batteries and diodes can be sourced from Maplins.
duffer
Members

Re: Radio connections in Swift Fairway/Charisma535

Postby David Theaker » August 21st, 2009, 8:45 pm

Thanks for the help. I guessed as much. Now just need to figure out the most unobtrusive route for cable.
David Theaker
Members

Return to Technical