Swift Talk Forums HERE

Wheel removal?

This forum is now closed to new posts but remains here as a source of information. New actictivity has transferred to the Swift Talk forums (see link above).

The views expressed here are those of the individual contributors and are not necessarily those of the Club.

Wheel removal?

Postby lishka » September 6th, 2009, 10:53 pm

As your now aware I am new to this!
I have just purchased a 1999 challenger 500se and the hub caps are a bit 'off white' so as I thought I would remove them and tidy them up, erm.... the wheel nut's/studds hold them on!
Is it safe to remove all four nuts/studs whilst on the 4 legs just so that I can remove the cover or does it have to be jacked up somewhere else?
It hasent actually come with a jack or brace or not that I have found yet so I am looking at buying them as a priority.
lishka
Members

Re: Wheel removal?

Postby ted hughes » September 7th, 2009, 9:37 am

You must NOT attempt to remove the wheel without first jacking up the axle tube or the plate which secures it to the chassis. The caravan steadies must never be used for jacking the van as damage will result. I've attached Swift's instructions for changing a wheel. Make sure you follow them carefully, including the bit about hitching up to the car so the caravan can't roll forwards or backwards.

On the other hand if you just wish to remove the wheel trim you can do so without removing the wheel. This is because the wheel trim is held on by just 2 of the 4 wheel bolts. If you look carefully you can see which 2 they are. Make sure all 4 bolts are back in place and correctly tightened before moving the van.
Attachments
wheel_change.pdf
(56.72 KiB) Downloaded 2715 times
ted hughes
Members

Re: Wheel removal?

Postby lishka » September 7th, 2009, 9:48 am

That's fantastic, thankyou very much for such an in depth reply.
:D
lishka
Members

Return to Technical