Swift Talk Forums HERE

challenger 570 & sterling eccles ruby tv mounts

This forum is now closed to new posts but remains here as a source of information. New actictivity has transferred to the Swift Talk forums (see link above).

The views expressed here are those of the individual contributors and are not necessarily those of the Club.

challenger 570 & sterling eccles ruby tv mounts

Postby paul » September 9th, 2009, 4:45 pm

We were on an SOC rally last weekend with our new Challenger 570. Also on the rally was another new Challenger 570 and a new Sterling Eccles Ruby (identical caravan in all but name and colour scheme!).

All of us are really pleased with our purchases but it soon became apparent that we had all experienced the same small problem with our new caravans.

That particular model has the rather novel TV storage solution where the TV is fixed to a bracket which slides up into a cupboard out of site. The problem relates to the fixing of the TV and shelf in it's travelling position. The metal catch which holds it all up does not seem "man enough" for the job. Indeed of the 3 caravans on the rally, 2 metal catches had already snapped and the 3rd was quite badly distorted and looked likely to fail soon! When the metal catch fails, all of the weight relies on a small plastic catch which certainly won't last long, not being designed for the weight. Arriving on site with your TV on display, when it wasn't planned, is a bit concerning!

It made us wonder if there is a design problem or was there just a batch of faulty metal catches?

We're all used to taking caravans back for warranty repairs that are beyond us, but taking all 3 caravans back many miles to dealers just to have a more robust cupboard catch fitted seems a bit OTT and something we were all capable of putting right ourselves with a better catch. It's a very simple job, so is there any way that Swift can supply new/better catches for us to fit ourselves?
paul
Members

Re: challenger 570 & sterling eccles ruby tv mounts

Postby Roger_Roger » September 17th, 2009, 1:35 pm

Looking to buy a new challenger 570 in the very near future, has this problem been resolved ?
Roger_Roger
Members

Postby TheSwiftGroup » September 18th, 2009, 6:11 pm

Hi
Thanks for the feedback, we have reviewed the catches and modified them.
We have also bulletined our dealers.
Regards
Andy
TheSwiftGroup
Members

Postby Roger_Roger » September 18th, 2009, 9:51 pm

Great news, cheers Andy 8)
Roger_Roger
Members

Postby paul » December 1st, 2009, 10:01 pm

on Sept 18th Andy (Swift customer care) said on this website (scroll down to see the note in question) that the problem had been rectified on future vans and dealers had been informed - presumably so that they could carry out repairs. I took my Challenger 570 to my dealer to have several warranty repairs carried out this week, including the TV catch, but when the dealer contacted Swift about the TVmount problem, Swift said that they didn't know anything about this issue on my van!. A breakdown in communication somewehere I think! Could someone at Swift please contact Forest of Dean Caravans and authorise this repair.
thanks,
Paul.
paul
Members

Return to Technical