Swift Talk Forums HERE

Deflate tyre's or not???

This forum is now closed to new posts but remains here as a source of information. New actictivity has transferred to the Swift Talk forums (see link above).

The views expressed here are those of the individual contributors and are not necessarily those of the Club.

Deflate tyre's or not???

Postby bigmac » October 1st, 2009, 4:02 pm

Hi. I have just wintered my caravan and took the wheels off. I've been told that it would be a good idea to deflate the tyre's and break the seal on the rim's. Is this correct? I havent heard of this before. Although my tyre's are new. Thanks very much. bigmac
bigmac
Members

Re: Deflate tyre's or not???

Postby mike142sl » October 1st, 2009, 5:26 pm

I'd say it's a waste of time. On the basis we should be replaceing them every 5 years I don't think deflating them will be of any benefit at all anyway.
The phrase 'a little bit of knowledge is a dangerous thing' springs to mind.
Mike
Land Rover Discovery TD5, Challenger 490se (2007)
mike142sl
Members

Postby bigmac » October 1st, 2009, 8:59 pm

Hi Mike. Just what I wanted to hear. Thanks a lot mate. I doubt I'll still have this van in five year's :lol: If her in door's has her way :lol: Thanks again, bigmac
bigmac
Members

Postby Arkimediz » October 2nd, 2009, 10:27 pm

I solved the problem of winterising the caravan at least 16 years ago - I don't bother - why not? Because we never stop using it. We are away on rallies at least once a month through the winter and haven't had a New Year at home since 1992.

Why have an expensive item like a caravan sitting idle for what I would guess would be half the year? Go on - get out there and use it!!

Just another thought - some insurance companies insist on wheel locks - by removing the wheels you could have problems with your insurance company if someone puts wheels on your caravn and tows it away.
Caravan Rallies - Every weekend, same house, different front garden & different neighbours.
Arkimediz
Members

Postby grumpyoldgit » October 4th, 2009, 4:47 pm

Arkimediz wrote:I solved the problem of winterising the caravan at least 16 years ago - I don't bother - why not? Because we never stop using it. We are away on rallies at least once a month through the winter and haven't had a New Year at home since 1992.

Why have an expensive item like a caravan sitting idle for what I would guess would be half the year? Go on - get out there and use it!!

Just another thought - some insurance companies insist on wheel locks - by removing the wheels you could have problems with your insurance company if someone puts wheels on your caravn and tows it away.

Personally, I would have thought that no wheels would be quite a deterrent!
grumpyoldgit
Members

Postby Arkimediz » October 4th, 2009, 5:38 pm

It's not a deterrent if they bring wheels with them as I suggested in my last post. Insurance companies have been known to refuse to pay out in such circumstances. I've have seen it covered in these forums somewhere.

I strongly suggest that you check with your insurance company and then put the wheels back on and get out in the caravan.
Caravan Rallies - Every weekend, same house, different front garden & different neighbours.
Arkimediz
Members

Return to Technical