Swift Talk Forums HERE

boiler '94 Swift Challenger 470SE

This forum is now closed to new posts but remains here as a source of information. New actictivity has transferred to the Swift Talk forums (see link above).

The views expressed here are those of the individual contributors and are not necessarily those of the Club.

boiler '94 Swift Challenger 470SE

Postby Cipi » October 30th, 2009, 10:33 pm

Hello,

I having a problem with the Carver water heater in my Swift van.
I bought the van 2 years ago. I found al the manuals in the van, also the manuals from the Carver water heater. I find how the heater workes on gas and works on electricity. But not one word how to swich from gas to electricity.
At home i tryed to turn the heater on, but its only was clicking a few times. The 3 leds stay's on.
When we going to Italy for holliday i did the same. This time, after clicking only the green led stay's on and we've got hot water.
This year i try it at home again, notting happend's. No clicking. All the leds stayed on. When we traveling to Spain still nothing happend's.
But after a few minutes i notice that i had hot water. This time from the gas bottle. So i wondered how this system works. How can i swich between the electricity and gas.
Also i notice the the red light (meanstreem) on the pannel somethimes is on and some times is of when i hook the mean cable on.
I know in Italy the light was on and in Spain de light was off.

I hope some one can help me with this problem. Last year i send a mail to the Swift importer in Holland (here in Belgium there is no importer). He could't help me a send me to a dealer. The dealer told me bring the van. (so i could pay a lot after;-))) ).

Regards Dirk
Cipi
Members

Re: boiler '94 Swift Challenger 470SE

Postby ted hughes » October 30th, 2009, 11:45 pm

This great little heater can have both gas and electricity heating at the same time. Does that help your understanding?
ted hughes
Members

Postby metz » October 31st, 2009, 7:42 am

Hi Dirk, If you log on to Gary's site here, http://www.arcsystems.biz/ you will find the manual and a description of how the cascade works.
What go'es around comes around
metz
Members

Postby Cipi » October 31st, 2009, 8:49 am

ted hughes wrote:This great little heater can have both gas and electricity heating at the same time. Does that help your understanding?

Thanks, i didn't know that. But what i want to know is why does work the electrical heating one time and doesn't the other time.

Dirk
Cipi
Members

Postby Cipi » October 31st, 2009, 8:56 am

metz wrote:Hi Dirk, If you log on to Gary's site here, http://www.arcsystems.biz/ you will find the manual and a description of how the cascade works.

Thanks, but as i alredy told, i have this manual from Cascade and i have the manual from Swift.( I have the Cacade 2 fitted in my van).
As i look on the Swift manual and reed at the fault tracing i see that if al the 3 leds( from the panel near the kitchen) red, yellow and green ar burning the voltage will be low. But how can the voltage be low as the battery charger is on?

Dirk
Cipi
Members

Postby charles » October 31st, 2009, 2:30 pm

Intermittent operation on electricity could be down to a dodgy connection or a sticking thermostat. I think your heater is hard wired (as opposed to having a kettle type plug to connect it), this means a sticking thermostat is more likely.

The next time it refuses to work on electricity disconnect the mains to the van, remove the heater's rear cover, and tap the thermostat with a small hammer or other suitable object. The hand book has a drawing to show where the thermostat is located. Replace the cover, re-connect the mains and see if it then works.

If the battery voltage is low you should get the green and yellow lights on together when operating on gas. The red should not be lit. If this is the case and the charger is on it could be that the charger is faulty. The easiest way to check is to switch on a 12 volt light (e.g. reading light) and see if the bulb brightness changes when you switch the charger on and off. If it doesn’t then the charger may be faulty.

On these early Cascade 2 heaters there is often a small control box near the heater. It contains a couple of fuses. I seem to remember I had on blow on me but there were spares in the lid.
Last edited by charles on November 1st, 2009, 11:43 am, edited 1 time in total.
charles
Members

Postby Cipi » October 31st, 2009, 2:48 pm

charles wrote:Intermittent operation on electricity could be down to a dodgy connection or a sticking thermostat. I think your heater is hard wired (as opposed to having a kettle type plug to connect it), this means a sticking thermostat is more likely.

The next time it refuses to work on electricity switch off the mains to the van, remove the heater's rear cover, and tap the thermostat with a small hammer or other suitable object. The hand book has a drawing to show where the thermostat is located. Replace the cover, switch on the mains and see if it then works.

If the battery voltage is low you should get the green and yellow lights on together when operating on gas. The red should not be lit. If this is the case and the charger is on it could be that the charger is faulty. The easiest way to check is to switch on a 12 volt light (e.g. reading light) and see if the bulb brightness changes when you switch the charger on and off. If it doesn’t then the charger may be faulty.

On these early Cascade 2 heaters there is often a small control box near the heater. It contains a couple of fuses. I seem to remember I had on blow on me but there were spares in the lid.

Thanks,
The charger is working, that i know for shure.
All the 3 leds are burning. Only when the heater started, the first time, the red and orange led going out.
The fuses at the control box are ok, i checked this several times.
Cipi
Members

Return to Technical