Swift Talk Forums HERE

Swift Sundance Batteries flat

This forum is now closed to new posts but remains here as a source of information. New actictivity has transferred to the Swift Talk forums (see link above).

The views expressed here are those of the individual contributors and are not necessarily those of the Club.

Swift Sundance Batteries flat

Postby sc_williams50 » October 31st, 2009, 2:09 pm

My husband and I are very very novice motorhomers having had our Swift Sundance 630 for only a few weeks. All good except that twice we have gone to se it only to discover the batteries, both the cab and the habitation are completely flat. The first time we assumed we had done something wrong and left something on so charged the batteries and away to go. However, we went to use it yeaterday and the same thing has happened again. The light indicating the cab battery was in use definitely wasn't on when we left it and everything was turned off, other than we noticed that the radio was on Mute?! We have booked it in to the main dealers where we bought it but they can't see it for 10 days. I am really worried. Any ideas out there? Sue and Will:(
sc_williams50
Members

Re: Swift Sundance Batteries flat

Postby haveago » October 31st, 2009, 3:06 pm

A radio left on (even in mute) can easliy flatten a battery over a day or so. Eliminate that and, if the problem persists, you will need to check the current drain on the batteries when parked up. Unless you are competent this is really a job for an auto electrician.
haveago
Members

Re: Swift Sundance Batteries discharging

Postby manofkent » December 31st, 2009, 7:16 pm

We are in the same situation as the Williams, ie first time motorhomers, with flat batteries in a 4 year old Swift Sundance.
Having just bought the Maplins £9.95 digital current display /fuse interface fitting as recommended in an earlier posting below, it appears that the owners manual relating to the AC85 control panel is misleading, in that the centre position, described as off, may not be completely correct?
With the battery control switch in the L position, and the mains hook up to the 16A on board charger / rectifier on, and with the fan heater blower on maximum, and all 12 van lights on, the L battery is still charging OK.
With the V battery switched in, this also still charges.
However, the standing discharge from the engine start battery, with everything switched off, is actually still 0.62 amps, presumably due to the cab clock, and radio possibly, so with a 72 a/Hr rating (but Iam not sure what hourly rate this is declared at?) so theoretically, the V battery will be discharged in 72/0.62 hours = 116 hours = around 5 days?
I have now fitted a key isolator switch from Vehicle Wiring Products to the V battery, to prevent any standing current drain, but would still be interested in any more info or comments, particularly from the Williams, after their visit to the dealers fro the same problem?
manofkent
Members

Postby sc_williams50 » December 31st, 2009, 8:21 pm

Hello Manofkent, the Williams's here. Since posting the original message our sundance went back into main dealer. They replaced the V battery and charged the L battery. The new V battery was fine after 2 weeks of sitting in our drive unused but the L battery drained again. At the moment it is back with the main dealer who have contacted swift and are awaiting a reply. The Xmas period delayed things. I will certainly let you know the outcome. Thanks for your comments. I hope we get to the bottom of it
Sue
sc_williams50
Members

Postby manofkent » January 5th, 2010, 4:12 pm

Hi Sue,
where are you located, if not too far from SN6 6AH, I would be pleased to assist with the Maplins diadnostic kit, to determine if there is a standing L battery discharge, or if the battery or charger is defective etc,
regards, Dan
manofkent
Members

Postby TheSwiftGroup » January 7th, 2010, 9:33 am

Hi sc_williams50,

I am sorry to hear of the problems with your batteries. It would seem your dealer has it under control however if you need any assistance please do not hesitate to ask.

Thanks

Dave
TheSwiftGroup
Members

Postby sc_williams50 » February 13th, 2010, 3:25 pm

Hello All
Good news. The main dealer kept the motor home for several weeks due to Xmas and a family holiday abroad. They were able to see the problem first hand. They eventually noticed that the small internal habitation light above the door didn't go out after leaving vehicle as it is meant to. They were unable to solve this but at least we now know we have to manually switch this off every time we leave the motorhome. Problem, and mystery solved.

Thank you for all your help fellow motorhomers!!!
Sue :D :D
sc_williams50
Members

Return to Technical