Swift Talk Forums HERE

Power Drain

This forum is now closed to new posts but remains here as a source of information. New actictivity has transferred to the Swift Talk forums (see link above).

The views expressed here are those of the individual contributors and are not necessarily those of the Club.

Power Drain

Postby kpb » November 8th, 2009, 9:33 pm

We have a 2006 Challenger with all mod cons. However, we like the basic sites and use 2 x 18watt solar panels to top up our two batteries. I am comfortable in measuring the power that the television, lights, pump take but would like to know what hidden power is being drawn eg alarm system, fridge sensor, switched off radio, television signal amplifier when we are off site. I have taken a guess at 1 amp per hour but would like confirmation.
kpb
Members

Re: Power Drain

Postby carabiker » November 9th, 2009, 8:20 am

Hi kpb
Maplins do a plug in DC digital ammeter plug this into the main fuse to the battery ( normally 20 amp fuse )

Link http://www.maplin.co.uk/Search.aspx?menuno=67486

Automotive Current Tester
Auto Curr Tester Max
Code: N48CY £9.99

This will give you an accurate dc amps reading

Or use a Muti meter set to amps and bridge out the same fuse

The Above Maplins ammeter will also be handy for checking out the out put from the solar panels

Dave
Disco TD5 Conqueror 630 2008

Dyslexic key board don't look at me
carabiker
Members

Re: Power Drain

Postby kpb » November 9th, 2009, 6:47 pm

Thank you for the link. I wil hotfoot to Maplins. This is a piece of kit that will travel with my multimeter.
kpb
Members

Return to Technical