Swift Talk Forums HERE

Blown Air ran out of puff!

This forum is now closed to new posts but remains here as a source of information. New actictivity has transferred to the Swift Talk forums (see link above).

The views expressed here are those of the individual contributors and are not necessarily those of the Club.

Blown Air ran out of puff!

Postby sailingbiggles » November 17th, 2009, 12:36 am

Cant get blown air fan to work. Checked fuses/cct breakers and connections at rear, all fine. Any ideas?
Thanks in advance
Eccles Amethyst 2002
Saab 9-5 Aero estate
sailingbiggles
Members

Re: Blown Air ran out of puff!

Postby charles » November 17th, 2009, 12:03 pm

I assume you have an Eccles Amethyst 2002 since these words are at the bottom of your post. It will be fitted with a Truma Ultraheat system. Swift's instructions on operating the fan are not as clear as they might be. The fan is controlled from a knob and slide switch on the left hand side of the fire (see below). The slide swich has 3 positions - a,b,c.

a = Manual control of fan speed - rotate the knob between 1 and 5 to set the speed
b = Off
c = Automatic operation - the fan speed will depend on the temperature of the heater

The fan works off 12 volts so make sure you have a good battery or have the charger switched on. If the van's 12volt lights work OK then you should have a good 12 volt supply. You say you've checked all fuses and connections so, if none of the above helps, it could be time to take the van to a caravan workshop.
Attachments
truma1.jpg
Truma fan control
truma1.jpg (7.78 KiB) Viewed 5256 times
charles
Members

Postby sailingbiggles » November 17th, 2009, 9:44 pm

Thanks Charles.
I will go and try the 12v system now.
Eccles Amethyst 2002
Saab 9-5 Aero estate
sailingbiggles
Members

Postby sailingbiggles » November 18th, 2009, 4:44 pm

Battery is fine and all other 12v systems are working. Still no luck with the fan. It looks like a simple enough system, I just don't want to tamper with something I know little about.
Eccles Amethyst 2002
Saab 9-5 Aero estate
sailingbiggles
Members

Postby haveago » November 18th, 2009, 11:04 pm

My guess is that there is a bad connection somewhere. Has the fire front been removed at any time - e.g . to change the ingniter baterry? (Likely on a 2002 van). If so the connections to the control could be adrift. The front panel can be removed by pulling out hard at the top and then lifting out at the bottom. To stop the fire front from jumping off in transit Swift fit an extra screw at the top so look out for this before trying to pull off.

If all this scares you take the van to a good caravan workshop and let them investigate.
haveago
Members

Postby sailingbiggles » November 19th, 2009, 9:28 pm

Nice one Haveago.
You were spot on. I removed the front cover and found the connector loose. Blown central heating once again!
Your help is much appreciated as we can use the van comfortably over the winter now.
Thanks again.
Eccles Amethyst 2002
Saab 9-5 Aero estate
sailingbiggles
Members

Return to Technical