Swift Talk Forums HERE

Electrics, Help! Swift Voyager 635EK

This forum is now closed to new posts but remains here as a source of information. New actictivity has transferred to the Swift Talk forums (see link above).

The views expressed here are those of the individual contributors and are not necessarily those of the Club.

Electrics, Help! Swift Voyager 635EK

Postby johnwhittaker1965 » January 17th, 2010, 1:13 pm

Hi

I have registered for this forum today in a last ditch attempt to see if I am doing anything wrong with my motorhome before I submit and send it back to the dealer.

The cab battery has a habit of going flat after a week or so standing, sometime even when on charge (ie plugged into the mains)? This manifests as a very high pitched note coming from under the rear of the vehicle.

Having left the vehicle in storage for about 4 weeks I went to collect yesterday and having re-connected the cab battery, it started fine and I took it for a 20 mile drive to check all was well which it seemed to be. Upon parking up at home, I went to turn on the control panel which switches on the lights, water, heating etc but there is no sign of life and in fact the only things working in the rear of the motorhome are the cooker ignite and the fridge?

Without there being any life in the control panel, I can't switch on the lights etc. Also, the electric step does not work either??

Anyone out there got any ideas?

I contacted the dealer yesterday and he told me to leave it plugged in for a few days and all should be well but it has been on charge for over 24 hrs thus far with nothing? I even plugged a booster on to the habitation battery but still nothing works? Is there some form of switch or relay that could have jammed or something to do with the cold?

Fingers crossed!!

John
johnwhittaker1965
Members

Re: Electrics, Help! Swift Voyager 635EK

Postby charles » January 19th, 2010, 2:31 pm

By cab battery I assume you mean the one used to start the vehicle. In addition to this there will be a leisure battery. It sounds as though this second battery may be flat. You don't say how old your motorhome is but, about a year ago, there was a faulty batch of Nordelettronica power supply/charger units units. Maybe yours is one of these.

Even if your charger is OK I still think you need to get your dealer to investigate as it seems there is a fault somewhere on the leisure 12 volt electrics.
charles
Members

Postby johnwhittaker1965 » January 19th, 2010, 3:33 pm

Thanks Charles

It is an 08 model so maybe there is an issue.

I disconnected the leisure battery under the long seat in the rear and attached a booster pack to the leads knowing this was charged but still no result. Then to my surprise, when I re-connected the leisure battery everything came back to life? I could only assume that there was a sticky relay or some other temp fault in the mains panel which somehow fixed itself with jolt when I re-connected?

Your comment regarding a faulty batch of mains panels rings true because the cab battery sometimes runs flat over a week or so, even when plugged into the mains?

I will definately return the vehicle to the dealer to have them check it over although they are not a Swift dealer, they are an independant (Marquis Motorhomes, Northampton). They have in fact been very good thus far (my wife knocked the drivers door mirror off on a passing truck in Cornwall!!).

Thanks for your time,

John
johnwhittaker1965
Members

Postby charles » January 19th, 2010, 6:59 pm

Thanks for your response. It is very interesting. I have seen Swift Group motorhomes lose 12 volt power to the habitation area due to connection problems behind the NE183.03 control panel. If you are competent in these things you may like to remove the panel and re-seat all the connectors. If not let Marquis do it. They are an excellent dealer and should look after you well.

Please let this forum know how you get on.
charles
Members

Postby johnwhittaker1965 » February 14th, 2010, 12:49 am

Will do Charles.

I must say, the vehicle has been fine since the issue noted above for some time now?

Fingers crossed!!

I will update the forum when we come to use the Motorhome in March for the 1st trip of the year.

Regards

John
johnwhittaker1965
Members

Return to Technical