Swift Talk Forums HERE

lack of poke

This forum is now closed to new posts but remains here as a source of information. New actictivity has transferred to the Swift Talk forums (see link above).

The views expressed here are those of the individual contributors and are not necessarily those of the Club.

lack of poke

Postby mick » February 4th, 2010, 9:01 pm

Hi mick here nearly pulling whats left of my hair out.
My fiat ducato 14 (1994) 2litre (petrol) Royale model 540 ser no. 940253 has me in tears at the moment with a snag that wont go away.... It presents as a lack of power when going uphill. The RAC gave it as lack of fuel but after going thru the system from tank to carb and changing the tank pipes pumpand filterand tightening everything up the problem is still there.
The problem is intermittant and I can go 10-15 miles full power, even did a 100miles one time but it keeps coming back.
Am now going on to the electrics with a coil and amplifier change. If anybody out there has had similar problems I will take any and all advice short of getting rid of the van. Again a major drawback has been lack of specific info about the van.
any body out there with drawings, wiring diagrams or engine layout? TIA mick
mick
Members

Re: lack of poke

Postby ted hughes » February 6th, 2010, 9:23 am

I had a similar problem to this many years ago with a car. It turned out to be the fuel take off pipe inside the tank. Instead of reaching the bottom of the tank it was over an inch away as a result of being twisted (rotated) in an attempt to fix a leak where the pipe came out of the tank. The power problem only showed up when the tank was a quarter full or less.

If I were you I’d try filling the tank and see if that makes any difference.
ted hughes
Members

Postby grumpyoldgit » March 8th, 2010, 7:20 pm

Hi there.

I also have the 2L petrol Royale 540, December 1995.
I only got it early autumn so it has nor really had much in the way of hills to master.
However, it has just been in for a full service and M.O.T. It failed on emissions and after much faffing about, the garage put it down to a faulty Lambda sensor. To be quite honest I didn't even know I had one, let alone what I did. I suggest you google it like I did if have never heard of them either. The net result is that it affects the air fuel ratio and a faulty one can adversely affect performance.
Bringing the beast home I immediately noticed an improvement in performance. I've not been away in it yet this year so cannot say what it is now like going up hills but it is certainly improved on the flat.
It may be nothing at all but with the same model and almost the same year it struck me that your sensor might be up for replacement. They apparently have a limited life and have to be replaced from time to time.
Perhaps someone who knows what goes on under the bonnet could comment.

Regards

Bob
grumpyoldgit
Members

Postby bigmac » March 10th, 2010, 4:26 pm

Hi Mike. I don't know if you've sorted your problem out but have you checked the advance and retard on your distributor. I had a similar prob my self and found out it was this that was causing the problem. A secondhand disi soon sorted the problem out. Hope this helps? Malc.
bigmac
Members

Return to Technical