Swift Talk Forums HERE

window seals

This forum is now closed to new posts but remains here as a source of information. New actictivity has transferred to the Swift Talk forums (see link above).

The views expressed here are those of the individual contributors and are not necessarily those of the Club.

window seals

Postby kelvyn » February 9th, 2010, 9:45 pm

hi i have just bought our first caravan an abbey cabaret 1997 all the grey window seals are brittle and seem to be breaking away is this a common problem in older caravans .i have had a look around the windows there doesnt seem to be any sign of water damage ,how do i find out what size and type of seal i need to replace them and is it a difficult job thanks . also the lights will only work off the leisure battery and not off the mains is this normal
kelvyn
kelvyn

Re: Replacing window seals

Postby haveago » February 10th, 2010, 10:35 am

Grey seals were prone to deterioration. Swift only used them from 1994 to 1997. The good news is that they are relatively easy to replace. New black window rubber should be available at your local caravan dealer or you can get it mail order from somewhere like Seals Direct.

Prop the window and remove the window stays. Next use a screwdriver or similar to remove the grey plastic trim strip from the seal. Underneath you will see the staples used to keep the rubber in place. Remove these with a screwdriver and pliers and pull away the seal noting where it is joined (normally in the middle at the bottom). Hopefully the timber frame underneath will be in good condition. If not some remedial work may be needed.

Carefully remove any old sealant with a blunt knife or scraper. You can use white spirit to help clean up but it is vital to ensure that all traces are gone before the new sealant is applied. A better cleaner is isopropyl alcohol (IPA) available from Maplins and on eBay. This will not affect the sealing properties of the mastic if it comes into contact.

New seals usually come with mastic already in place on the side that is to fit on the outside of the window frame. If you need more then use a non-drying bedding sealant such as Carafax IDL99 or Sikaflex caravan sealant and carefully bed into place before securing with a staple gun.

Lastly replace the plastic trim strip. Use a hairdyer to soften if necessary.
haveago
Members

Return to Technical