Swift Talk Forums HERE

Charging Battery on Challenger 490?

This forum is now closed to new posts but remains here as a source of information. New actictivity has transferred to the Swift Talk forums (see link above).

The views expressed here are those of the individual contributors and are not necessarily those of the Club.

Charging Battery on Challenger 490?

Postby errolfire » February 16th, 2010, 8:15 pm

Hi All,

I am completely new to caravanning and am currently tring to familiarise myself with everything( no user manual came with caravan).

I have connected electric from my house to the caravan but it does not seem to be charging the battery. I have tried all combinations of switches inside the caravan. I have turned on the charger on the ESM2000 and have set the other switch to van. Above the door there are 3 switches for 12v, entry light and pump. With regards to the 12v switch, do I set that to on or off to charge?

Any help would be welcome or if anybody could sell me an operating manual?

Thanks,

Mark
errolfire

Re: Charging Battery on Challenger 490?

Postby carabiker » February 17th, 2010, 9:15 am

Hi

Try swift Group for a hand book
It may be possible to get a printed version
or and electronic down load

You need to provide the model and chassis /cris number
Customer Service
http://www.swiftgroup.co.uk/contact-us for the printed book will cost about £10 - 15

For a Down load file contact with a direct e-mail address
Andy Technical; Director
aspacey@swiftleisure.co.uk

or
Ash technicalsupport@swiftleisure.co.uk
Dave technicalsupport@swiftleisure.co.uk

Dave
Disco TD5 Conqueror 630 2008

Dyslexic key board don't look at me
carabiker
Members

Re: Charging Battery on Challenger 490?

Postby Giles » February 17th, 2010, 9:50 am

You don’t say how old your caravan is but my guess is that it is 1998/2000. You can download a year 2000 handbook from the support section of this website (click on the logos at the top of this page). That contains details of the ESM2000 power unit and how to operate it.

If the charger switch on the unit is on it should light up red. If this is the case but the battery is still not charging then either the charger board in the power unit is faulty or there is a break in the line between the charger and the battery.

Does the battery power the caravan’s 12 volt lights etc.? If so then the 20 amp fuse through which it connects must be OK.

With the battery disconnected and the charger on do any of the 12 volt lights or other appliances work? If not this would suggest a faulty charger board.

The ESM 2000 units were supplied to Swift by Plug in Systems now Bonus Plug-In-Systems, part of the Bonus Electrical group http://www.bonus-group.co.uk. They may be able to help you.

One difficulty could be removing the unit for repair. Swift often left very little spare cable to allow it to come out far enough to be disconnected. If this is an issue you could fit a power supply/charger such as those sold by Amperor and mount it in a front bed box near the battery.
Giles
Members

Return to Technical