Swift Talk Forums HERE

Propane or Calor

This forum is now closed to new posts but remains here as a source of information. New actictivity has transferred to the Swift Talk forums (see link above).

The views expressed here are those of the individual contributors and are not necessarily those of the Club.

Propane or Calor

Postby bigmac » March 10th, 2010, 3:42 pm

Hi guy's. I have a 2004 Challenger 550. At present I'm using Propane (Orange bot) a friend gave me a full 7 Kilo bottle of Calor (Blue Bot) can I use the calor on my van without having to purchase a regulator? Or! if i get a regulator can I still use it. Thanks guy's. bigmac (Malc)
bigmac
Members

Re: Propane or Calor

Postby cls » March 11th, 2010, 12:10 am

You can use butane on your van but you will need a different regulator
When I die, I want to go peacefully like my Grandfather did, in his sleep -- not screaming, like the passengers in his car.
cls
Members

Postby metz » March 11th, 2010, 7:43 pm

A 2004 van should have a bulkhead regulator fitted, if this is the case then you will only ned t change the pigtail.
What go'es around comes around
metz
Members

Postby bigmac » March 13th, 2010, 11:16 am

Thanks guy's. Metz, what's the "Pig Tail"? I'm not to clued up on these tech term's :? :lol: Your right there is a regulator on the bulk head just need to know which one's the Pig Tail?
bigmac
Members

Postby mike142sl » March 13th, 2010, 7:30 pm

Pig Tail is the rubber pipe that connects the bottle to the regulator. The screw ends are different for Propane and Butane.
Mike
Land Rover Discovery TD5, Challenger 490se (2007)
mike142sl
Members

Postby grumpyoldgit » March 17th, 2010, 11:44 am

Just to clarify on the butane/propane issue.
When exchanging an empty cylinder for a full one at the camping shop it is possible to swap a butane for a propane and vica versa.
There are certain rules that prevent you swapping a small for big as far as I am aware but, for example, you can swap an empty 7k butane for a 6k propane.
At that point, you could get a new regulator, if required.
There is a £30 deposit if you want an extra cylinder but you may find you can pick them up for a fraction of that on Ebay or at car boot sales.
grumpyoldgit
Members

Postby mike142sl » March 17th, 2010, 11:52 am

There are no rules that prevent you from exchanging different sizes of bottle. The local store might not want to though if they think they might be out of pocket with the deposit. I have managed to change sizes like this at Go Outdoors (Sheffield) in the past without any problem.
Mike
Land Rover Discovery TD5, Challenger 490se (2007)
mike142sl
Members

Return to Technical