Swift Talk Forums HERE

Towbar for Peugeot Boxer Swift Royale 540

This forum is now closed to new posts but remains here as a source of information. New actictivity has transferred to the Swift Talk forums (see link above).

The views expressed here are those of the individual contributors and are not necessarily those of the Club.

Towbar for Peugeot Boxer Swift Royale 540

Postby ed2ed » June 17th, 2007, 3:25 pm

I want to fit a scooter rack to a 1995 Swift Royale on a Peugeot Boxer 320 chasis. I was told by the sales manager that the chasis could be extended and strengthened and a towbar fitted to take the scooter rack. However when the van went to the workshop the engineer said that the van chasis was not strong enough to support the towbar and scooter rack. Is this problem insurmountable or can anyone offer advice?
ed2ed

Re: Towbar for Peugeot Boxer Swift Royale 540

Postby charles » June 25th, 2007, 3:58 pm

The engineer is probably right. Do you need a towbar as well as scooter rack? This might just make a difference. I have seen Swift Royales with scooter racks but I'm not sure what chassis they were on. Later ones use a Fiat chassis. The other point to bear in mind is that you must not exceed the MTPLM of the vehicle or overload the rear axle. Bear in mind also that scooters carried on such racks can very quickly get dirty when travelling.

As an alternative it may be possible to attach a bike rack to the rear panel of the motorhome. This would require there to be suitable mounting points. I believe that more recent motorhomes have these built in during manufacture but I’m not sure when they were introduced. Any Swift motorhome dealer should be able to advise.
charles
Members

Return to Technical