Swift Talk Forums HERE

Light weight refillable gas bottles

This forum is now closed to new posts but remains here as a source of information. New actictivity has transferred to the Swift Talk forums (see link above).

The views expressed here are those of the individual contributors and are not necessarily those of the Club.

Light weight refillable gas bottles

Postby Boomerang » October 4th, 2007, 5:18 pm

Hi

Any one shed some light on this subject please, as in cost, ease of use, any problems refilling them etc etc.

Many Thanks

Andy
I'm not dyslexic it's my computer.

Andy
Landrover Freelander TD4
Swift Charisma 620 (2007)
Boomerang
Members

Re: Light weight refillable gas bottles

Postby ACE » October 4th, 2007, 5:52 pm

It looks like a £25 deposit and £16.50 for 10kg. I'm not sure about connections but I bet they are different and the gas locker will need different straps. Google BP light for more info. I live in Cowes so I expect it will be a trip to the north island to refill. I would leave it until they come fully availiable. Really good idea though.
ACE
Members

Postby steve and lynn » May 20th, 2008, 9:16 pm

i change my 7kg gas bottle last week it cost me £18
steve and lynn
Members

Postby paul » May 20th, 2008, 9:34 pm

What sort of lightweight refillable bottles do you want to know about? Calor, BP, Truma all offer lightweight bottles which are refillable. They are light so keep the noseweight down, but are more expensive per litre or kg of gas, than their equivalent "heavy" bottles. It depends on what you're trying to achieve. I use a refillable lightweight bottle that you can fill yourself at many LPG garages (some supermarkets are resistant to this) and the cost is about 55p to 59p a litre depending on where you live - so a 10 litre bottle (roughly equivalent to a calor 6kg propane) costs around £6 to fill - significantly cheaper. Calor say that they are unsafe, as appeared in a caravan club article some months back, but Calor sponsor many caravan club events - read into that what you will. Lightweight refillable bottles are expensive to purchase at first but pay for themselves after about 8 fills.
paul
Members

Postby ted hughes » May 21st, 2008, 7:40 am

The bottles you can fill yourself at petrol stations are only unsafe by virtue of the fact that there is nothing to prevent you from overfilling them. At least that is the case with the ones I’ve seen. An overfilled bottle could lead to liquid gas getting into the regulator defeating its purpose and putting any downstream gas appliance in danger of fire or explosion. There is also the possibility that a seriously overfilled bottle could, if exposed to heat, e.g. from hot sunshine, rupture. A further issue is that factory filled bottles are thoroughly inspected before each fill to ensure that they are in good condition and able to safely hold LPG. Consumer refillable bottles are not subject to such procedures. These are the reasons why Calor say they are unsafe.

If you regularly inspect the bottles for any signs of damage or failure and are fastidious about not overfilling then they are perfectly safe. The issue you may have though is that many garages ban them from being filled. The way round this is to mount the bottle in the boot of your car making it a ‘fixture’ and fill it in situ. Ensure that any gas released during the filling process is well vented before getting in the car and driving it away though.
ted hughes
Members

Return to General