Swift Talk Forums HERE

Can you paint the inside walls?

This forum is now closed to new posts but remains here as a source of information. New actictivity has transferred to the Swift Talk forums (see link above).

The views expressed here are those of the individual contributors and are not necessarily those of the Club.

Can you paint the inside walls?

Postby HARVEY » May 14th, 2008, 10:35 am

Hi All

I have just recently purchased a Swift Conqueror 640 Twin axle, its fantastic.
However, to brighten up the inside i want to give it a paint over, can anyone suggest what paint i can use for the following,

Walls
wooden cupboards laquer flaking? :D
HARVEY
Members

Re: Can you paint the inside walls?

Postby Chris Plumb » May 16th, 2008, 10:57 am

The walls are covered with a thin layer of plastic. This makes them easy to clean but not ideal for painting. If you use a water based emulsion it will probably react with the plastic and leave a sticky surface. Oil based paints may be better but will yellow with time. My advice is do NOT paint the walls as it will devalue your van. You will never be able to remove the paint without destroying the plastic underneath. If you really hate the wall finish you could try applying a wall paper but it could be difficult to avoid the whole thing looking like a botched mess.

The woodwork is a different matter. Carefully remove all flaking varnish then lightly sand with a very fine sandpaper. Wipe with a damp, lint free, cloth and allow to dry. Apply one or two thin coats of clear satin varnish. This can be water or oil based but my preference would be for water based as this will give a thinner coat and dry quickly.
Chris Plumb
Members

Re: Can you paint the inside walls?

Postby HARVEY » May 18th, 2008, 11:04 am

Sorry for the delay in replying thats excellant advice i will leave well alone with the walls.

:)
HARVEY
Members

Return to General