Swift Talk Forums HERE

Newbie - please be gentle ;-)

This forum is now closed to new posts but remains here as a source of information. New actictivity has transferred to the Swift Talk forums (see link above).

The views expressed here are those of the individual contributors and are not necessarily those of the Club.

Newbie - please be gentle ;-)

Postby felipe » April 15th, 2009, 9:08 pm

Hi,

My wife decided to buy a caravan a few weeks ago, Charisma 540, waiting for it to arrive, been 4 weeks and maybe another 4 weeks of waiting, the wife is not patient...

Anyway, its all very daunting trying to find out what needs to be bought, what places to go to etc.

Is there any newbie mistakes I should try and avoid, we have already encountered one which is to change the car from what was deemed as a perfect match for the caravan to one which will pull a train!!!! Long story on that one.

Thanks

Felipe :D
felipe
Members

Re: Newbie - please be gentle ;-)

Postby preston_biker » April 16th, 2009, 9:43 am

Hi and welcome.

You will find this a very friendly place with all the help you need.

Safety is the main thing at the start and you have taken the first steps by getting the tow car right. The next thing you need to watch is nose weight, this is the downward weight at the tow ball. This will not be a problem when you pick the van up as it will be empty, but as you load it it will become more of an issue. The easest thing to do is to use a wooden block under the tow hitch on the van on top of a set of bathroom sclaes. Check the van's manual for the correct nose weight and compare this with the recommended maximum nose weight of the tow car. Also read the van's maunal on loading your van and pay heed to what it says especially with heavy items such as an awning, which I carry in the boot of my car.

I would also recommend "Tyron bands" these are expensive for what they are but in the event of a tyre blow out they stop the tyre comming off the rim and they say you can drive for up to 2 miles on a flat tyre. They also help costly damage to your van should the trye come off the rim. To put this into context if you look after your tyres and always check them before setting off you will reduce the possibilty of a deffective tyre blow out.

Gas bottles is also a considration. As a newby I would suggest going for lightweight bottles. There are two on the market at present one by calor and available from most caravan stores as well as calor themselves. The other is by BP and avaialable from Homebase stores. But gas is quite a broad subject with lots of different ways of doing it this is the light weight option but there are refillable options as well but as I do not know much about these I will leave it to others to comment.

Everybody has different ways of doing things these are just my recommendations and I'm sure this thread will build up quickly with lots of hints and tips some of which will be contradictory but do not be put off, go with what you feel sounds right for you and do a bit of research using Google to check out what sounds good.

Hope you have many happy holidays.
Graham

Ford Mondeo estate, 2008 Charisma 570
I just love the freedom we have to go away when we like!
preston_biker
Members

Postby carabiker » April 16th, 2009, 10:22 am

Hi

I have sent you a check list for when you collect the van may find it helpful
Dave
Disco TD5 Conqueror 630 2008

Dyslexic key board don't look at me
carabiker
Members

Postby felipe » April 16th, 2009, 6:41 pm

All,

Thanks very much for the information and the information on the site is proving invaluable.

Thanks, Felipe
felipe
Members

Postby DefenderBlack » April 27th, 2009, 11:58 pm

carabiker wrote:Hi

I have sent you a check list for when you collect the van may find it helpful
Dave

Hi, Newbie also, Have my van, a sprite major 6, could you send me a check list too in case i have forgotten something.

Thanks

Paul
DefenderBlack
Members

Postby carabiker » April 28th, 2009, 8:50 am

Hi Paul

Sent the "collection check list "via the e-mail / pm

Dave
Disco TD5 Conqueror 630 2008

Dyslexic key board don't look at me
carabiker