Swift Talk Forums HERE

Hi There

This forum is now closed to new posts but remains here as a source of information. New actictivity has transferred to the Swift Talk forums (see link above).

The views expressed here are those of the individual contributors and are not necessarily those of the Club.

Hi There

Postby grumpyoldgit » September 28th, 2009, 12:41 pm

I have just signed up, being the proud owner of a new (to me) 1995 2L petrol Swift Royale 540.
I upgraded from a VW T3 Campervan so it is a bit of a culture shock.
Most things in the van seem O.K. The cupboard stays seem a bit flimsy and several are brocken or on their way out. I have tracked down what I think are identical replacements from Leisurehomedirect and will try one out before I order a handful. The shower wall clip had it's knob missing but Leisurehomedirect stock what looks like the identical model so I have crossed my fingers and bought a replacement.
The cooker works but the clicker to light it does not. The manual suggests that it might be battery driven but I can't find where it might be stored. I suspect the unit is wired in but cannot work out what part might be faulty. Any suggestions appreciated.
The Cascade water heater works fine and I have even had my first shower in it. The Thetford and the heater are fine and the fridge works O.K. on gas and 240v. I am not sure about the 12v as the light does not come on when switched on while the engine is running.
I am not sure what to do about the gas itself. It has one 7kg butane with space for another. The manual says that it will take 15kg but the plastic floor stays are spaced for the 7kg. The gas locker is stepped so although I am sure it will take a 7kg and a 15kg I am not happy about having a cylinder that is not secured. I gather that I could use propane instead, the advantage being that it flows at lower temperatures, while butane does not. Does anyone have any experience of this?
grumpyoldgit
Members

Re: Hi There

Postby ted hughes » September 29th, 2009, 11:52 am

The cooker igniter unit is a black box with lots of leads that normally lives behind the oven. It is fed from the 12 volt leisure battery. If the connections are ok you may need a new one. My 1994 igniter went faulty and was replaced under guarantee in 1995.

I think the 12 volt light (red) on the fridge should light up with the engine running. See if you can track down a wiring diagram.

Butane gas is not suitable for cold weather use. When the temperature drops below 5 degrees C it does not readily vaporise. I would use 2 x 7kg propane cylinders. Forget the 15kg – it’s too big.
ted hughes
Members

Postby grumpyoldgit » September 30th, 2009, 10:30 am

Thanks.
I did wonder about the propane. I made enquiries at my local camping shop and they are only prepared to exchange like for like so will not exchange a butane for a propane or for a cylinder of a different size, even though the deposit on all cylinders appears to be £30. They say it is a requirement from Calor. I also enquired at my local recycling centres but they appear to have tightened up their rules since the last time a bought a camping gaz cylinder from them. They now have an arrangement with the gas providers who pick up their cylinders when the cage is full.
I will have to keep an eye on the local car boot sales.
grumpyoldgit
Members

Postby ted hughes » September 30th, 2009, 8:12 pm

I'm sure Calor used to allow butane/propane swaps as long as the cylinders were physically the same size. After all the only difference is the paint job (Calor lite cylinders excepted). You could try another Calor outlet or put in a call to Calor's head office in Warwick (01926 330088). Please let us know how you get on.
ted hughes
Members

Return to General