Swift Talk Forums HERE

New here "Help"

This forum is now closed to new posts but remains here as a source of information. New actictivity has transferred to the Swift Talk forums (see link above).

The views expressed here are those of the individual contributors and are not necessarily those of the Club.

New here "Help"

Postby Alan/Julie » February 4th, 2010, 9:33 am

We are up grading from a Pennine Pullman 535se folding camper, and looking to buy a swift lifestyle motor home model we are interested in 520/540/620 with the 1.9 or 2.8 turbo diesel, a must to have rear rear belts.
There does not seem to be a lot of difference between private sales and dealers prices/mileage.
Is there a lot of difference for the 1.9 or 2.8 turbo diesel in fuel consumption and is the 1.9 powerful enough for up hills.
how easy are thy to drive.?
We would appreciate any help from members who own theses types of motor homes and their thoughts and experiences with them.
Alan/Julie

Re: New here "Help"

Postby charles » February 5th, 2010, 10:49 am

I haven’t driven either model but here are my observations:

The 1.9 has only around 100hp and 147 ft lb of torque and will feel a bit underpowered. It will have to work quite hard and this will be reflected in the fuel consumption.

The 2.8 has just 127 hp but a massive 200 ft lb of torque. This will give much better acceleration and easier cruising meaning higher gears can be used. This will help fuel consumption.

So, if it were me I’d be looking for a 2.8 but if I found a 1.9 at a good price I'd buy it and get it tuned/chipped. That would bring the performance up to a level much nearer to the 2.8.

If there is not much difference in price between private sales and dealers then buy fom a dealer, you will have more protection if things go wrong.
charles
Members

Re: New here "Help"

Postby bev » February 11th, 2010, 10:43 pm

HI
I have a swift sundance with a 2 ltre engine which is great but you lose it a bit on hills. I tour France every year with no problems
Bev
bev
Members

Return to General