Swift Talk Forums HERE

Touring abroad

This forum is now closed to new posts but remains here as a source of information. New actictivity has transferred to the Swift Talk forums (see link above).

The views expressed here are those of the individual contributors and are not necessarily those of the Club.

Touring abroad

Postby ponytrekker » June 1st, 2008, 9:42 pm

Hello. I was wondering if anybody had any advice for somebody who has had limited experience with touring caravans in the UK, But would like to tour abroad for the first time.
I live in the Lancashire area and would like possibly holiday in france,but not rigid to this.The plan i had would to put an overnight stop near to a ferry terminal in the uk and possibly travel no more than 4-5 hours on the other side.Does any body have any thoughts?/recomendations.
Many thanks.
Bruce
ponytrekker
Members

Re: Touring abroad

Postby Claver » July 21st, 2008, 10:41 pm

Just come back from 2 weeks caravanning in Brittany - Western France. 1st time abroad with the 'van but been going to France for over 20 years.
Don't worry too much about driving on the right - you soon get the hang of it. We decided not to travel too far in France with the 'van with the inevitable result that Brittany weather is a bit like our own. The further south you travel the warmer it gets.
We used the CCC carefree service to book a week in each of 2 sites - one cheapish and one more expensive but loved both sites. No 6m rule so you are closer and no hardstanding so at least the awning pegs went into the ground.
Driving in France with a 'van is easy. Your stops will be at "Aires" which are main road and motorway pull ins with just parking and loos. Sometimes with fuel and a small cafe/shop.
You must have a reflective jacket and warning triangle with you.

We travelled slowly with the 'van - about 50 mph suited us and there are hoards of camping sites - all star rated. No need to book till August when the whole of France goes on holiday at the same time. French drivers tailgate each other - worrying at first but you get used to it.
For us in Cumbria - the longest journey was down to Plymouth - the Brittany part was much shorter. Cheers
Graham
..........Blakemere 5 berth 2000 - a special edition of the Allouette.............
Claver
Members

Postby ponytrekker » July 22nd, 2008, 8:25 pm

Hi Graham.
Thanks for your reply. We have taken the the plunge so to speak and have booked with ccc carefreetravel as well. we are staying in the picardy region near the somme. we go in 2 weeks and are looking forward to it. 8) I have decided to put in an over night stop in canterbury before we sail. for an extra 6 quid and me not shouting at the kids lol
Regards
Bruce
ponytrekker
Members

Postby preston_biker » August 17th, 2008, 4:35 pm

Bit late I know but this maybe of interest to others looking in.

We are currently (mid August) in the Jura region on a large site of about 300 pitches of which I have seen three UK cars. Most of the people are Dutch or French but most Dutch people speak better English than we do.

We have over the years travelled through out France and usually come to the mid/south areas as they are not so packed but are still fun places to go. sadly we have had a lot of rain with the odd day of sunshine, however this area is known for it's lakes and waterfalls. With all the rain the waterfalls are quite a site to see so not all "bad weather" is bad.

I have never found driving in France a problem as the roads (even in high holiday season) are dead compaired with Uk roads at any time of year.

Happy carvaning.

Graham
Attachments
fall Jura.jpg
fall Jura.jpg (69.1 KiB) Viewed 1471 times
Graham

Ford Mondeo estate, 2008 Charisma 570
I just love the freedom we have to go away when we like!
preston_biker
Members

Return to General