Swift Talk Forums HERE

Plug in Systems 12 volt problem

This forum is now closed to new posts but remains here as a source of information. New actictivity has transferred to the Swift Talk forums (see link above).

The views expressed here are those of the individual contributors and are not necessarily those of the Club.

Plug in Systems 12 volt problem

Postby mxb » April 18th, 2009, 3:45 pm

Hi,
I have a Challenger 400, year 2002.
It has just developed a problem with the 12 volt side.

The voltmeter in the panel over the door shows good level, and the light nearest the door works. (the so called "entry light" )

The other 12 volt powered items, other lights, water pump, toilet rinse pump, etc don't work.
These are all those items that are isolated by the 12v isolation switch in the panel over the door. (All the fuses are ok).

I understand that this switch isolates the above items by operating a relay in the plug-in systems electrical control module, ESM 2000, a contact of which disconnects the 12 volt feed to them ?

I wonder therefore if the problem is a corroded contact in this relay ?
I seem to recall last year at the beginning of my last site visit having trouble getting the water pump to work initially, the problem just mysteriously disappearing !

As my caravan is parked on a storage sight I can't try out the mains driven charger to see if that makes any difference, e.g. "blowing off" the bad contact maybe ?

My question is does anyone know where I can get the wiring diagram for the Plug-in-systems supply module ESM 2000 ?

( Bonus plug-in-systems are no help, they have no technical or repair departments anymore!
Their fantastic roving repair men are no more. I had ocassion to need their help when the caravan was delivered new with reversed wires in wiring loom !!
The plug-in man was absolutely brilliant in fixing this!)

Thanks in advance for any help....
mxb
Members

Re: Plug in Systems 12 volt problem

Postby woodvale035 » April 21st, 2009, 10:20 pm

i don't like suggesting one forum on another nut there are a few guys on the forum below that really know thier stuff on electrics so may be worth a look.
hope this is not breaking any forum rules

http://forums.preloved.co.uk/fuseaction ... dcb2c.html
woodvale035
Members

Postby mxb » May 2nd, 2009, 11:00 am

Hi,
Thanks for that, I had actually already seen that forum.
In fact somewhere on that same forum is a couple of photos of the ESM 2000 unit.....but for some reason I can't find that post again !!??

Anyway for any other people who may have problems with a similar unit at sometime in the future, I will relate what I have found so far...

As I said this unit has a relay (black box) riveted on the back and the 12volt feed to the fuses on the top front of the unit goes through a contact on this relay.

(No it is not the "Habitation" relay. That relay is fixed at the front of the caravan where the cable from 12S plug comes in).

I thought at first this contact was faulty as the 12 volt was going into the unit but not coming out.

I drilled out the rivets holding the 2 halves of the aluminium case together ( 11 of them ).
They are also aluminium so quite easy so long as you don't drill to deep (!!)

Inside I found an inline blade fuse of 25 amp that was blown. Why such a hefty fuse had blown I haven't as yet found out.
I changed it and reconnected the 12 volt wiring plugs at the back of the unit and hey presto the 12 volt side now works.

However...... whether the battery charger still works is another question as my caravan is on a storage site and therefore I couldn't plug it into the mains to test for that.

I think it most likely that it won't so I'll take a portable charger with me on my next outing.

The charger in the unit is just a circuit board full of electronic components, and although I did have some electronic training, it was when transistors were the new kid on the block, i.e. just after the last Ice-Age !

Just out of curiousity I did speak to a local caravan repair/accessory place about fixing it but it seems that these units are of the disposable kind. They went onto a (Swift ?) dealer only website and the price for a complete unit is £369.....inc.vat.

If I can get away with just using my portable charger, I don't think I'll bother spending £369...
mxb
Members

Postby carabiker » May 2nd, 2009, 4:38 pm

Hi mxb

if the power / battery charger is faulty and requires replacement there are several makes an the market
Sargent electrical who now supply Swift will be able to help and advise

I know of a guy with a Plug in systems electrical control panel who had problems and Ian Sargent helped sort out the fault

If you want a replacement charger I can give you the Sargent Tech guy's name and direct telephone number Ian sure he will help and advise the best charger to suit your Plug in System model / type

Dave
Disco TD5 Conqueror 630 2008

Dyslexic key board don't look at me
carabiker
Members

Postby mxb » May 5th, 2009, 4:20 pm

Thanks for that Dave,
I'll keep that in mind,

Cheers

mxb...
mxb
Members

Postby The Meerkat » May 13th, 2009, 2:44 pm

Any problems regarding the bonus chargers please can you contact the company below as a few of their engineers now work here - They can also supply battery chargers as well for you

http://www.amperor-research.co.uk/page2.html
The Meerkat
Members

Postby The Meerkat » May 20th, 2009, 6:55 pm

Is the battery charger made by Nordelecttronica by any chance? If so, this could be a common batch problem :(
The Meerkat
Members

Return to Technical